Herefordshire College of Technology (now Herefordshire and Ludlow College) has a long and proud history, providing quality education to the Herefordshire community and surrounding areas for over 60 years.
In a nutshell...
Established in 1946 on Newtown road as a temporary site, the College was first opened to meet local demands for qualified blacksmiths, farriers and welders. Fifteen apprentices began their training at that time.
By 1950 it had developed from a training centre to a further education establishment, named Hereford College of Further Education, and offered 11 part-time courses, 3 block-release and employed just 6 members of staff.
The College was essential to provide technical and commercial education for local firms established, or due to be established, in the Hereford area. Numbers had risen to 736 learners and by 1952/1953 this had soared with 1476 learners having enrolled.
The mid-1950's saw the development of the first phase of a permanent site at Folly Lane. As numbers of students increased over the years, so phase 2, 3 and 4 took place and the site expanded.
Growth has continued, along with investment in resources, and a £32 million campus redevelopment (completed in 2010)transformed the site at Folly Lane which now offers a fantastic range of first class facilities.
Sixty years later, HCT (now HLC) employs around 600 staff and welcomes over 7,000 learners each year. The College offers over 70 full-time courses across two campuses, including a specialist land-based campus, as well as a range of apprenticeships, part-time, HE, recreational, legislative and specialist courses for businesses.
To commemorate the past 60 years a history book has been published, named 'The Story So Far', researched and written by David Griffin.
David’s account is a warm rich human story about how people have, over the last sixty years, reached out to touch many , bringing hope, challenge, support and encouragement through the tremendously powerful medium of education – education that has brought fulfilment and pleasure to thousands of students, enriching lives, and our much loved county of Herefordshire.
The book is available to purchase from the LRC at the Hereford campus and is priced at £15.00. Please note this is a non-profit making publication; the purchase price covers print and artwork production only. If you would like a copy, please contact the LRC on 01432 365470 or email email@example.com.
The author is greatly indebted to the family of former Vice Principal George Kemp A.M.I.Mech.E. for permission to use parts of his unpublished History of Herefordshire Technical College 1945-1977. Thanks are also due to the following: Ian Peake, Paul Loncharich, Graham Bateman, Anita Croll (PA to Ian Peake) …and the many staff and students who provided valuable information and photographs.
Please view the 'College History' section of our picture gallery to see a small selection of photographs taken during the 1960s and 1970s.