Engineering - Level 3
Broaden your horizons for careers and degree-level study in computer aided manufacturing, product design, aerospace, electronics, electrical engineering, or the automotive industry.
You will be applying your cognitive problem solving skills to projects, challenges and assignments that are based on real workplace situations, activities and demands. Equivalent to three A Levels, this qualification has been designed to progress students to university as well as straight into the industry. Upon successful completion, you may decide to apply for an HNC/D or degree course in various disciplines, including mechanical engineering, manufacturing, aerospace, design, automotive or electronic engineering. Our contemporary engineering facilities have the latest industry-standard equipment including a Computer Aided Design (CAD) suite, engineering workshop (including a CNC mill and lathe) and extensive robotics equipment. This offers an excellent learning environment for supported, hands-on training as well as thorough academic study.
Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering (equivalent to 3 A levels)
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Machining Techniques
- Mechanical, Engineering & Electrical
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Microcontroller Systems in
- Inspection Technology
- Programmable Logic Controllers
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- Five GCSEs at grades C or above (grade 4 or above) including maths, English and physics (or equivalent technical subject), or the BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate/Diploma (Merit grade) in a relevant area
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
What can I study next?
Study options may include:
- HNC/HND or Degree in an Engineering Discipline
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering
- Engineering Degrees
What jobs can I do?
Employment options may include:
- Engineering Project Manager
- Engineering Design and Manufacture
- Mechanical Engineer
- Electronics/Telecoms Engineer
Contact: 0800 032 1986
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees | Materials Fee £210 (per year)
Aged 19 years or over (at the start of the course): Different fees apply depending on your individual circumstances and prior qualifications. Please contact Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 for more details about fees
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to speak to somebody who will be able to help.