Apprentice Forest Operative - Whitbourne Estate
A great opportunity has arisen to work for the Whitbourne Estate in Whitbourne on the border of Herefordshire and Worcestershire. They are looking to provide Forest Operative training on their 350 acres Estate.
We are pleased to offer an opportunity for an apprentice or student to work alongside our forestry team at Whitbourne Estate. The woodland extends to around 350 acres, and are a mixture of conifer and broadleaf. The prime aim is to grow high quality marketable timber, especially oak which is regarded as some of the best in the UK. The forestry, together with its farming enterprise are fundamentally driven by environmental sustainability.
Whitbourne Estate has diversified into several new business streams in the past few years which includes a woodchip biomass system and firewood. The role of the forestry department, both in terms of timber production and amenity value, will also play a part in shaping and fulfilling the future vision for the business.
- Assist head forester in carrying out all practical forestry tasks involved in the above which will include; maintenance, felling and processing timber. Pest, disease and vegetation control. Wider management/maintenance to include rides, tracks and fences.
- Be involved in maintaining the Estate’s forestry machinery
- Assist in the Estate’s retail firewood business including forwarding, processing and delivering locally
- livering locally. 4. Work as part of the overall estate team – contributing skills and practical help to other departments which include; The Home Farm, leisure and hospitality, shooting, Care Farm and general estate amenity.
- Work especially in partnership with the estate gamekeepers to promote the sporting potential on the estate. This includes assisting the gamekeepers with track clearance and ride cutting.
- Preparation of biomass woodchip projects
Skills and experience
1. Basic knowledge in forestry or countryside management.
2. Some chainsaw operating and maintenance experience would be desirable.
3. Diligence with machinery use and maintenance.
4. Willingness to understand and adopt/practice current environmental, forestry, health and safety, plant legislation and codes of practice.
5. Experience in tractor driving and use of winch desirable but not essential.
6. Good level of physical fitness.
7. Enthusiasm to be self-sufficient and hardworking.
8. Clean driving license desirable.
9. Strong customer service skills.
The following Certificates of Competence will be achieved over the course of the apprenticeship -
• Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
• Level 2 Award in Chainsaw Maintenance and Crosscutting Timber using a Chainsaw
• Level 2 Award in Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm
• Level 2 Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides Guidance OR Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides
• Level 2 Award in the Safe Application of Pesticides using Pedestrian Hand Held Equipment (including application near water)
• Level 2 Award in Safe use of Brush-cutters and Trimmers
• Level 2 Award in Safe use of Forestry Clearing Saw.
Apprentices without Level 1 English and Maths will need to achieve this Level and take the test for Level 2 English and Maths.
For more information contact Lu Mason on: 07436 031699 or email: email@example.com