Forestry Operative Apprentice - Willey Estate
Willey EstateCountry Estate
The Willey Estate which includes Barrow Farms is a country landed Estate set in rural Shropshire and can trace its history back some 950 years! The business mainly includes a farming enterprise, Forestry Business, Residential Property Portfolio and Renewable Energy arm.
A fabulous opportunity has arisen to train as an Forestry Operative Apprenticeship managing and looking after the woodlands, trees and parkland on the Willey Estate.
As part of the team you will learn and work alongside and assist the forestry team, applying sound knowledge, administration and physical skills to the timber growing, harvesting, protection, accessibility, productivity, and sustainability. The forestry team are dedicated to sound forest science, management and conservation.
Prime duties will include assisting with:
- Machine and tools maintenance
- The use of hand tools such as bill hooks, brush hooks, sledge hammers
- Pruning, brashing up, gathering & Burning Brash Piles
- Stacking and delivering logs
- Assistance with and operation of (where appropriately trained) other hired in equipment such as timber processors,Sawmills, wood chippers etc
- Felling trees, tree surgery, thinning, parkland maintenance, weed control
- Fencing, provision/production of fencing posts, operation of post knocker
- Planting and caring for young trees
- Planting hedges, hedge laying, hedge trimming
Desired Skills and Personal Qualities
- Ability to work as a Team
- Willingness to learn
- Confident to try new skills
- Aptitude to outdoor work
- Cheerful disposition
- Driving licence essential
- Two prerably in GCSE Maths and English
The nature of the work may require the employee to work outdoors in all weathers. The job is physically demanding, the job requires the incumbent to stand for extended periods of time, lift heavy objects on a regular basis and to do repetitive tasks with few breaks. Public Transport access to the Estate is poor. 1 possibly 2 mile walk from bus route. No train service. No weekend work is expected.
Qualifications required: GCSE Maths and English grade 2 and above or Functional Skills level 1 and above. If you do not have GCSE grade 4 or above or Funcational Skills Level 2 and above in either of these, then you will be entered in for either a short training course including exam or exam only during your apprenticeship with us, this is a mandatory part of the apprenticeship training.
For more information and to apply contact Lu Mason on: 07436 031699 or email: email@example.com