Bricklaying - Level 1
Getting you started with the specialist skills needed for a career in brickwork.
Practical training takes place in our purpose-built, specialist workshop which is designed to give you the best environment for learning the skills of bricklaying and blocklaying. Theory work is taught in our well-equipped classrooms. We will guide you through the process of building; from the moment you get a set of plans, to when you lay the last roof tile. Your qualification will provide you with a range of practical skills and knowledge to give you the best start in your construction career, and one of the entry requirements for the Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying. Essential health and safety units are integrated into all our City & Guilds qualifications.
Qualification: City & Gullds Level 1 Diploma in Bricklaying
Duration: One year
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction
- Principles of Building Construction, Information and Communication
- Carry Out Blocklaying Activities
- Carry Out Bricklaying Activities
- Carry Out Cavity Walling Activities
- Contribute to Setting Out and Building Basic Masonry Structures
Achievement is by passing practical and theory units, multiple-choice online and paper-based knowledge assessments, and practical assessments. All full-time students are required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- No formal entry qualifications are required
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying
- Level 2 Apprenticeships in Bricklaying
- Level 2 Diploma / Apprenticeship in Building Maintenance Operations
Employment options may include:
- General Builder
- Landscape Gardening
- Site Operative (Labourer)
You may also like...
Please note that all supplementary workshops are at an additional cost and are not part of the formal Level 2 Diploma. The costs given below are subject to change.
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over (at the start of the course): Tuition Fee £995 | Registration/Exam Fee £150
Extra fees for all students:
Additional Course Costs: £225
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own personal equipment such as personal protective clothing, stationary and data storage devices.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986