Foundation Studies: Construction & Building Services - Level 1
A hands-on and practical course to develop basic skills in construction trades, personal confidence and job seeking skills.
You will gain real hands-on experience of working with a variety of construction materials. You will gain wide experience in brickwork, carpentry and building maintenance through a mixture of core theory and specialist practical units. The wider area of working in the construction industry is explored through research
You will be coached in developing your job seeking and interview skills, as well as the process of looking and applying for a job in the construction industry. You will also study English and Maths, which are essential for future job roles. The delivery of the course involves giving each student a behaviour and performance grade for each lesson. This contributes to an overall record of achievement and supports progression to further education or work.
Qualification: BTEC Level 1 Certificate/Extended Certificate in Construction
Duration: One year
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Developing Bricklaying Skills
- Developing Carpentry Skills
- Developing Building Maintenance Skills
- Developing Plumbing Skills
- Developing Electrical Installation Skills
- Starting Work in Construction
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work. All full-time students are required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- No formal entry qualifications are required
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes shown are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- Plumbing - Level 1
- Electrical Installation - Level 1
- Level 1 Bricklaying
- Carpentry & Joinery - Level 1
Foundation Studies in other subjects:
Employment options may include:
- Various roles in the construction industry after successful completion of specialist Level 1 or Level 2 qualifications at HLC
You may also like...
Foundation Studies in one of the following areas:
- Health, Social Care & Childcare - Level 1
- Computing & IT - Level 1
- Employability Skills - Level 1
- Hospitality & Catering - Entry level3 / Level 1
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over: Tuition Fee £995 | Registration/Exam Fee £150
Additional Course Costs: £225
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own personal equipment such as personal protective clothing, stationary and data storage devices.
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986