Foundation Studies: Employability Skills - Level 1 & Level 2
Develop your confidence and basic skills for progression into employment or further study.
Many of our students have commented that studying these courses at the College is ‘very different from school’. They have enjoyed learning, have gained confidence and are respected as individuals. They also enjoy the weekly opportunities to socialise and be active. Typical activities include playing football, snooker and pool, taking part in boxing training sessions or just going for a coffee and socialising.
Our Employability Skills courses, offered at Level 1 and Level 2, consist of a number of activities and subjects, including volunteering, personal and social development, preparation for work and work experience. Students will also get the opportunity to improve their literacy and numeracy skills, build their knowledge and confidence and discover more about their options for employment or further study at college, with the aim of successfully preparing them to secure a job or to progress to a specialist vocational course at the College.
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate/ Extended Certificate in Employability Skills
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate/ Extended Certificate in Employability Skills
Duration: One year (per level)
At Level 1 you will study subjects such as:
- Presentation Skills
- Literacy and Numeracy
- CV Preparation
- Work Experience Opportunities
- Opportunities for Personal and Social Development
At Level 2 you will study subjects such as:
- Career Planning & Job Applications
- Effective Skills, Qualities and Attitudes for Learning and for Work
- Communicating with Others in the Workplace
- Improving Practical Skills & Techniques
- Introduction to Leadership/Principles of Setting Up a Business
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work. All full-time students are required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- At Level 1, no formal entry qualifications are required
- At Level 2, four GCSE passes at grade 3 or above (including maths and English), or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 1 Qualification, such as the Level 1 Diploma in Employability Skills
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes shown are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- Progression to a Level 1 or Level 2 course of your choice
- Foundation Studies: Construction & Building Services - Level 1
- Foundation Studies: Computing & IT - Level 1
- Foundation Studies: Hospitality & Catering - Entry Level 3 /Level 1
Employment options may include:
- Employment opportunities in unskilled jobs or in skilled or semi-skilled occupations after successful completion of specialist vocational Level 1 or Level 2 qualifications at HLC.
- Access to apprenticeships
You may also like...
Foundation Studies in one of the following subject areas:
- Construction & Building Services - Level 1
- Computing & IT - Level 1
- Hospitality & Catering - Entry Level 3 / Level 1
- Skills fo Working Life - Entry Level 2 & Level 3
- Health, Social Care & Childcare - Level 1
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over (at the start of the course): Tuition Fee £995 | Registration/Exam Fee £150
Additional Course Costs: £110
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own personal equipment such as personal protective clothing, stationary and data storage devices.
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986