Foundation Studies: Computing & IT - Level 1
A hands-on and practical course to develop basic and more advanced IT, Computing, multimedia and digital skills.
In this mainly practical course you will cover specialist computing and IT related skills to enable progression to further study and eventual employment. In addition, you will study core units that focus on key transferable skills such as research and planning, time management and working with others.
There are a mixture of core theory and practical units to study within our specialist IT suites, ranging from solving IT challenges to computer programming skills. You will be coached in developing your job seeking and interview skills. You will also study English and Maths, which are essential for future job roles.
Qualification: BTEC Level 1 Certificate / Diploma in Computing and IT
Duration: One year
You will cover a range of topics throughout the course such as:
- Solving Technical IT Problems
- Creating a Computer Program
- Developing a Digital Product
- Creating a Website
- Developing Digital Information
- Using Digital Communication Technologies
Assessment is continuous, with assignment projects and practical work. You will be given opportunities to carry out practical tasks, present information that you have gathered, keep working logbooks, records and reflective journals, practise English and Mathematical skills, and take part in oral or written presentations. All full-time students are required to study Maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- No formal entry qualifications are required
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
There are various opportunities for further study or employment upon successful completion of your course.
Study options may include:
Foundation Studies in other subjects:
- Foundation Studies: Construction & Building Services - Level 1
- Foundation Studies: Employability Skills - Level 1 & Level 2
Employment options may include:
- Employment opportunities in the Computing, IT and Digital industries after successful completion of specialist Level 2 qualification at the College
You may also like...
Foundation Studies in another subject area:
- Health, Social Care & Childcare - Level 1
- Construction & Building Services - Level 1
- Employability Skills - Level 1 & Level 2
- Hospitality & Catering - Level 1
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over: Tuition Fee £995 | Registration/Exam Fee £150
Additional Course Costs: £110
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own personal equipment such as personal protective clothing, stationary and data storage devices.
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986