Hairdressing - Level 1
Learn the essential skills of hairdressing, barbering and the beauty sector.
Learning in the College’s up-to-date and industry-standard salon, Eden, you will develop the essential basic skills to discover your career in the hair and beauty sector. Eden is a working salon open to members of the public, providing you with a real working environment and allowing you to gain a sense of how it will feel to work in the industry. The broad range of knowledge and skills gained will enable you either to seek employment or to progress to a relevant Level 2 course.
You will improve your English and maths as well as developing your confidence in your ability to progress. There is an emphasis on supporting you in becoming an independent learner through individual planning, target setting and development.
- Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing and Barbering
- Level 1 Certificate in the Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
Duration: One year
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing & Barbering:
- Shampoo & Condition Hair
- Basic Techniques in Plaits/Twists
- Blow Dry Hair
- Assist with Hair Colour Services
Level 1 Certificate in the Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector:
- Colour Hair Using Temporary Colour
- Create a Hair & Beauty Image
- Nail Art Application
You will be assessed on a continuous basis by practical observation, oral questioning, assignments and written test papers. You will need to pass all areas of assessment. Completion of all assessments will be retained in a portfolio. This portfolio will be internally and externally verified. All full-time students will be required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- GCSEs at grade 2 (grade E) or above in English and maths
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview and attendance at a taster day
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
Employment options may include:
- Junior Hair Stylist
You may also like...
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over (at the start of the course): Tuition Fee £995 | Registration/Exam Fee £170
Additional Course Costs: £135
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own equipment costing approximately £300
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986