Hairdressing - Level 2
Progressing your professional skills in cutting, styling and colouring.
If you enjoy meeting people and have a confident and outgoing personality then studying hairdressing is an excellent choice. You will be expanding your practical and theoretical knowledge to include intermediate techniques, creating highly-professional looks and finishes. Working in the College’s fully-equipped commercial salon, Eden, you will be provided with an outstanding learning environment for hairdressing.
Gaining this real working experience is key to developing the skills you will need to progress into further study or into the diverse range of job opportunities in this global sector, such as a backstage session stylist, top salon stylist or creative director. You will also participate in local and national competitions, testing your skills and adding to your impressive CV.
Qualification: Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing
Duration: One year
A selection of unit titles is shown below:
- Style & Finish Hair
- Set & Dress Hair
- Cut Hair Using Basic Techniques
- Shampoo, Condition and Treat the Hair and Scalp
- Change Hair Colour
You will be assessed on a continuous basis within a realistic working environment producing a portfolio of evidence to be certified by your assessors. Theoretical aspects of the programme will mainly be assessed through assignments and internal and external test papers. All full-time students are required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- Applicants without suitable experience will normally be advised to commence studyat Level 1.
- Four GCSEs at grade 2 (grade E) (to include maths and English) or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 1 Qualification
- Successful interview, initial assessment in literacy and numeracy and attendance at a taster day
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
Employment options may include:
- Hairdressing salons
- Cruise ships
You may also like...
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over: Tuition Fee £995 | Registration/Exam Fee £110
Additional Course Costs: £135
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own equipment costing approximately £300
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
We also offer the following apprenticeships as an alternative to full-time study:
- Level 2 Hairdressing Professional Standard (Hairdressing)
- Level 2 Hairdressing Professional Standard (Barbering)
- Level 3 Hairdressing Professional Standard
Whilst there is some overlap in modules for the subjects of Hairdressing and Barbering both have specialist units, the full list of which can be found on our website. A small selection is shown below. You will gain practical skills along with knowledge and understanding in each of your unit titles.
- Styling & Dressing Hair
- Cutting Hair
- Colouring Services
- Cutting hair using barbering techniques to create a variety of looks
- Cut facial hair into shape
- Prepare for shaving services
Duration and Attendance
You will spend one day a week at college and four days in the workplace employed as an apprentice. You will be expected to attend functional skills classes unless you already have prior achievement. Duration is up to 24 months for Level 2 and 18 months for Level 3.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986