Motor Vehicle - Level 1
An introduction to the repair techniques required for the motor vehicle repair industry and for further study or an apprenticfeship.
You will use our fully-equipped workshop and fleet of vehicles to gain an insight into the repair techniques required in the motor vehicle repairs industry. This introduction will prepare you for progression to the Level 2 and 3 qualifications (full-time or as an apprentice) where you will be using our modern diagnostic scan-tools, rolling road, wheel alignment systems, MOT facilities, and dedicated classrooms. Working in our purpose-built workshop, you will repair a range of vehicles under expert tuition from our highly experienced teaching staff. You will also gain a broad understanding of health and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage. Your further study in this area, at Level 2 and above, will qualify you for working in all different areas of the motor vehicle industry.
Level 1 IMI Diploma in Transport Maintenance and Repair
(IMI Awards are the retail motor industry?s first choice for automotive qualifications and accreditations).
This is a learning programme which involves students studying both the theory and practical aspects of the following:
- Light Vehicle Construction and Routine Maintenance
- Operating Principles of Light Vehicle Engines, Tyres, Brakes, Steering and Suspension Systems
- Operating Principles and Maintenance of Light Vehicle Transmission Systems and Electrical and Electronic Systems
Knowledge and skills are assessed by set practical tasks in a motor vehicle workshop environment, online multiple-choice testing and by assessments set by the College.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- No formal entry qualifications are required
- Successful interview and initial assessment
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes shown below are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
What can I study next?
Study options may include:
- Level 2 Motor Vehicle (Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair)
- Intermediate Apprenticeship in Motor Vehicle
What jobs can I do?
Employment options may include:
- Vehicle Service/Repair Garage
- Vehicle Parts Retail
Contact: 0800 032 1986
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees | Materials Fee £210
Aged 19 years or over (at the start of the course): Tuition Fee £945 | Materials Fee £210 | Registration/Exam Fee £150
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.