Agriculture - Level 3
Equivalent to three A Levels, this course provides a route into positions of responsibility in the industry or progression to relevant university-level courses.
This course is ideal for those working towards positions of responsibility in the agricultural industry.
It combines theoretical and practical sessions backed up by work experience. You will gain an understanding of all aspects of modern farming practices based around our 230-hectare organic farm which will cover a wide range of livestock and arable operations. You will also enjoy a range of trips to various local and national shows and demonstrations.
Furthermore, you can gain certification in one of the following certificates of competence: telehandler, tractor driving, ATV, pesticides, shearing and chainsaw. People qualified in this diverse sector are often welcomed by other relate industries because of their broad education, skills, training and experience.
Qualification: Level 3 Advanced Technical Diploma/Extended Diploma in Agriculture (equivalent to three A Levels)
Duration: Two years
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Principles of Plant/Soil Science
- Business Management in the Land-based Sector
- Agricultural Livestock and Crop Production
- Land-based Machinery Operation
- Business Management
- Crop Production
Assessment is continuous, with end of module exams, a synoptic assessment and practical work. This course includes 300 hours of work experience through the duration of the two years with assignments, projects and practical work.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- Five GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) or above, to include maths and English, or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 2 qualification at Merit grade or above
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Agriculture
- Higher Education
- Level 4 Diploma in Agriculture
Employment options may include:
- Stock Person
- Advisory Work or Commercial Representative
You may also like...
Students aged 16 to 18: There are no tuition or examination fees.
Students aged 19 to 23: Who are studying for their first full Level 3 qualification will be not be charged any tuition fees, but will be charged the materials fee only.
Students aged 19 to 23: Who already hold a full Level 3 qualification and all students who are 24 or over will be liable for the full cost of the course, based on the current student loan applicable for the qualification. Please contact our Finance department to be advised of the fee / loan due.
Additional costs: £185 (per year)
Personal equipment: You will also be expected to buy your own equipment costing approximately £70.
Please note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
See also: Fees Guidance - Full Time and Fee Reductions for Adults
We also offer the following apprenticeships as an alternative to full-time study:
- Agriculture, Level 2 Stockperson
- Agriculture, Level 3 Crop Technician
Apprenticeship course content
As an employed apprentice, you will gain practical skills in the workplace along with developing knowledge and skills relevant to your chosen sector, including:
- Health & Safety
- Managing the Welfare of Animals
- Preparing Feed & Water for Livestock
- Preparing Outdoor Sites for Livestock
- Preparing & Operating a Tractor
- Carrying out Harvesting Operations (Level 3 only)
- Planting Crops (Level 3 only)
Duration and attendance
You will spend most of your time in the workplace employed as an apprentice. There will be knowledge workshops planned within your course. You will be expected to attend functional skills classes in English and Maths unless you already have prior achievement at grade 4. Duration is 12−24 months depending on the level of study and will usually require attendance in college for 1 day per week.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986