Level 3 Extended Diploma in Agriculture
Equivalent to three A Levels, this course provides a route into positions of responsibility in the industry or progression to relevant university-level courses.
This course is ideal for those working towards positions of responsibility in the agricultural industry and is based on an integration of theoretical and practical lectures backed up by work experience. You will gain an understanding of all aspects of modern farming practices based around our 230 hectare organic farm which will cover a wide range of livestock and arable operations. You will also enjoy a range of trips to various local and national shows and demonstrations. Furthermore, you can gain certification in two of the following certificates of competence: telehandler, tractor driving, ATV, pesticides, shearing and chainsaw. People qualified in this diverse sector are often welcomed by other relate industries because of their broad education, skills, training and experience.
Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma in Agriculture (equivalent to 3 A levels)
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Principles of Plant/Soil Science
- Business Management in the Land-based Sector
- Agricultural Livestock and Crop Production
- Land-based Machinery Operation
- Business Management
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work. This course includes 300 hours of work experience through the duration of the course.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- 5 GCSEs at grade C (grade 4) or above (to include maths and English) or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 2 qualification at Merit grade or above
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Agriculture
- Higher Education
- Level 4 Diploma in Agriculture
Employment options may include:
- Stock Person
- Advisory Work or Commercial Representative
Students aged 16 to 18 will be not be charged any tuition fees, but will be charged the materials fee only.
Students aged 19 to 23 who are studying for their first full Level 3 qualification will be not be charged any tuition fees, but will be charged the materials fee only.
Students aged 19 to 23 who already hold a full Level 3 qualification and all students who are 24 or over will be liable for the full cost of the course, based on the current student loan applicable for the qualification. Please contact our Finance department to be advised of the fee / loan due.
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986