Business - Level 3
A practical study of contemporary business for progression to university and careers in business management, marketing, international business, HR, accountancy, retail, law or finance.
This qualification prepares students for employment in many different business sectors. You may also decide to specialise in certain areas through professional qualifications or progress onto a degree programme.
There are fantastic practical experiences where you will start to research and develop your own business idea and marketing campaign; plus you'll showcase your work at a real-life business event. You will also learn the skills of how to be a successful manager in business, the underpinning accountancy and financial knowledge taught by our industry experienced tutors. You will have the opportunity to undertake a week of work experience in a local business too.
- BTEC National Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Business (Equivalent to 1.5 A Levels) – Year 1
- BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business ((Equivalent to 3 A Levels) – Year 2
Duration: One or two years
A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Exploring Business
- Personal & Business Finance
- Managing an Event
- Developing a Marketing Campaign
- Cost and Management Accounting
- Market Research
- International Business
- Principles of Management
- Business Decision Making
- Final Accounts for Public Limited Companies
- Work Experience
- Recruitment & Selection Process
- Effective Management of Personal Debt
Assessment is continuous through assignments, projects, case studies and presentations. Each year will also include two external examinations.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- Five GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) or above to include maths and English, or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 2 qualification at Merit grade, together with GCSE English and maths at grade 4 (grade C) or above
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes shown below are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- University degree in Business
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Business
Administration or Management Courses
You may also like...
Please note, the costs given below are subject to change.
Students aged 16 to 18: There are no tuition or examination fees.
Students aged 19 to 23: Who are studying for their first full Level 3 qualification will be not be charged any tuition fees, but will be charged the materials fee only.
Students aged 19 to 23: Who already hold a full Level 3 qualification and all students who are 24 or over will be liable for the full cost of the course, based on the current student loan applicable for the qualification. Please contact our Finance department to be advised of the fee / loan due.
Additional Course Cost: £150
We also offer the following apprenticeships as an alternative to full-time study:
- Level 2 Assistant Accountant
- Level 3 Advanced Accounting
- Level 4 Professional Accounting
- Level 2 Business Administration
- Level 3 Business Administration
- Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner
- Level 3 Customer Service Specialist
- Level 3 Team Leader/Supervisor
- Level 5 Operations/Departmental Manager
As an employed apprentice you will gain practical skills along with knowledge and understanding relevant to your chosen course. The apprenticeship courses will cover mandatory units, which are mostly covered by completing qualifications and a portfolio. Please note that the units will be assessed via exams for the apprenticeships in accountancy.
Duration and Attendance
You will spend most of your time in the workplace employed as an apprentice. You will be expected to attend one day a week for the knowledge section of the apprenticeships and additional functional skills classes unless you already have prior accreditation. Duration 15-24 months depending on the level you study. At the end of the apprenticeship there will be an end point assessment which will need to be passed to complete the qualification. This may be in the form of a portfolio, completion of the relevant qualification and interview.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986