The Early Years Practitioner - Level 2
An industry-recognised qualification for those interested in the care and welfare of young children.
If you have passion, enthusiasm and you love working with children, this could be the career for you. This course enables you to gain a recognised national qualification which allows you to work within the field of childcare. During your work-based placements, you will enjoy learning on-the-job skills from other professionals. We aim to develop your self-confidence, helping you to achieve your full potential.
We are looking for people who care about the welfare and development of young children; have the ability to work as part of a team; have imagination and patience; and can show initiative. Successful completion of this course will provide you with the opportunity to work in a childcare setting as an assistant practitioner, in a fast-growing sector with an increasing demand for qualified staff.
Qualification: Level 2 Diploma for the Early Years Practitioner
Duration: One year
You will cover a range of diverse topics throughout your course. Unit titles include:
- Understand how to support children’s development
- Support well-being of babies and young children for healthy lifestyles
- Safeguarding, protection and welfare of babies and young children in Early Years settings
- Promote positive behaviour in Early Years settings
- Roles and responsibilities of the Early Years practitioner
- Promote play in an Early Years setting
You will be assessed by internally set and marked assignment tasks for each of the units. A minimum of 250 mandatory hours work experience within a relevant workplace is to be completed and a successful demonstration of skills observed by our assessor in that workplace. All full-time students will be required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- Four GCSEs at grade 3/2 (grade D/E) or above to include a grade 3 (grade D) in English Language or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 1 Qualification
- Successful interview and DBS check
- Successful taster day and initial assessment in English and maths
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the childcare sector
Progression routes are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- CACHE Level 3 Technical Certificate in Childcare and Education - Early Years Educator
Employment options may include:
- Assistant Nursery Practitioner
You may also like...
Please note, the costs given below are subject to change.
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over (at the start of the course): Tuition Fee £995 | Registration/Exam Fee £150
Extra fees for all students:
Additional Course Cost: £85, plus £47 for a DBS enhancement check.
We also offer the following apprenticeships as an alternative to full-time study:
- Childcare Apprenticeships
- Residential Childcare Apprenticeships
As an employed apprentice you will gain practical skills along with knowledge and understanding relevant to your chosen course, including:
- Health and Safety within the Early Years
- Safeguarding Children
- Equality and Diversity
- Promoting Positive Behaviour
- Child Development
- Childcare Theorists
- Personal Development
- Promoting Effective Communication
Duration and Attendance
You will spend most of your time in the workplace employed as an apprentice. There will be knowledge workshops planned within your course. You will be expected to attend Functional Skill classes unless you already have prior accreditation. Duration is 12−24 months depending on the level of study.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986