The Early Years Educator - Level 3
Become a qualified Early Years Educator with extensive work experience and the option to progress to university-level courses.
This course gives you a truly insightful experience into the childcare sector with a variety of mandatory placements in different settings over two years, including full support and visits from our qualified team. You will also have the opportunity to achieve Emergency Paediatric First Aid and Food Hygiene - invaluable in employment. This qualification prepares you to work unsupervised, or in a supervisory capacity, with children and their families in a variety of environments within the sector of children’s services. The qualification is split into two years. After successful completion of the first year, you will achieve a Level 3 certificate. After successful completion of the certificate, you can then progress onto the second year to complete your full diploma. It is only when you have successfully achieved your full diploma that you will able to practise as an ‘Early Years Educator’.
Qualification: Level 3 Technical Diploma in Childcare and Education - Early Years Educator (equivalent to 3 A Levels)
Duration: Two years
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Child Development from Conception to Seven Years
- Children’s Health & Well-being
- Providing Safe Environments for Children
- Observation, Assessment & Planning
- Supporting Emergent Literacy & Mathematics
- Preparing for School Readiness
Assessments are continuous, including assignments and practice evidence portfolio. This course includes 750 hours of work experience and externally marked controlled assessments through the duration of the two years. All full-time students will be required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- Five GCSEs at grade 4 (grade C) or above, to include English language at minimum grade 4 (grade C), or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 2 qualification to a suitable standard.
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area.
Progression routes are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- Foundation Degree in Early Years
- Foundation Degree in Health & Social Care
- Foundation Degree in Counselling
- Foundation Degree in Learning Disabilities
- BA (Honours) in Early Years
Employment options may include:
- Supervisory role (within a work setting after appropriate experience)
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant
- Private Nanny (home or abroad)
- Children’s Holiday Coordinator
- Nursery Nurse
- Early Years Teaching and Primary Teaching
You may also Like...
Please note, the costs given below are subject to change.
Students aged 16 to 18: There are no tuition or examination fees.
Students aged 19 to 23: Who are studying for their first full Level 3 qualification will be not be charged any tuition fees, but will be charged the materials fee only.
Students aged 19 to 23: Who already hold a full Level 3 qualification and all students who are 24 or over will be liable for the full cost of the course, based on the current student loan applicable for the qualification. Please contact our Finance department to be advised of the fee / loan due.
Extra fees for all students:
Additional Course Cost: £95 (per year), plus £47 for a DBS enhancement check.
We also offer the following apprenticeships as an alternative to full-time study:
- Childcare Apprenticeships
- Residential Childcare Apprenticeships
As an employed apprentice you will gain practical skills along with knowledge and understanding relevant to your chosen course, including:
- Health and Safety within the Early Years
- Safeguarding Children
- Equality and Diversity
- Promoting Positive Behaviour
- Child Development
- Childcare Theorists
- Personal Development
- Promoting Effective Communication
Duration and Attendance
You will spend most of your time in the workplace employed as an apprentice. There will be knowledge workshops planned within your course. You will be expected to attend Functional Skill classes unless you already have prior accreditation. Duration is 12−24 months depending on the level of study.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986