Engineering - Level 3
Broaden your horizons for careers and degree-level study in computer aided manufacturing, product design, aerospace, electronics, electrical engineering, or the automotive industry.
You will be applying your cognitive problem solving skills to projects, challenges and assignments that are based on real workplace situations, activities and demands. Equivalent to three A Levels, this qualification has been designed to progress students to university as well as straight into the industry. Upon successful completion, you may decide to apply for an HNC/D or degree course in various disciplines, including mechanical engineering, manufacturing, aerospace, design, automotive or electronic engineering. Our contemporary engineering facilities have the latest industry-standard equipment including a Computer Aided Design (CAD) suite, engineering workshop (including a CNC mill and lathe) and extensive robotics equipment. This offers an excellent learning environment for supported, hands-on training as well as thorough academic study.
Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Engineering (equivalent to 3 A levels)
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Machining Techniques
- Mechanical, Engineering & Electrical Science
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Microcontroller Systems in Engineering
- Inspection Technology
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Properties & Application of Engineering Materials
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Mechanical Principles
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- Five GCSEs at grades C or above (grade 4 or above) including maths, English and physics (or equivalent technical subject), or the BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate/Diploma (Merit grade) in a relevant area
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
What can I study next?
Study options may include:
- HNC/HND or Degree in an Engineering Discipline
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering
- Engineering Degrees
What jobs can I do?
Employment options may include:
- Engineering Project Manager
- Engineering Design and Manufacture
- Mechanical Engineer
- Electronics/Telecoms Engineer
Students aged 16 to 18 will be not be charged any tuition fees, but will be charged the materials fee only.
Students aged 19 to 23 who are studying for their first full Level 3 qualification will be not be charged any tuition fees, but will be charged the materials fee only.
Students aged 19 to 23 who already hold a full Level 3 qualification and all students who are 24 or over will be liable for the full cost of the course, based on the current student loan applicable for the qualification. Please contact our Finance department to be advised of the fee / loan due.
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to speak to somebody who will be able to help.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986