Hospitality & Catering - Level 2
This course expands your professional front of house service abilities whilst developing your creative and contemporary cookery techniques.
This course delivers the practical and theoretical knowledge required to succeed and progress within the industry. Not only will you cook and prepare food in our fully-equipped, industry-standard kitchens, you will also learn how to serve guests to a high standard in our training restaurant, which is open to members of the public.
Furthermore, you will participate in local and national competitions, pushing your skills to new heights. Industry visits are an important part of this learning process and the qualification will deliver the main skills required to ensure an understanding of the role and meet the expectations of a future employer. As your skills increase, numerous job opportunities will become available to you, or you can choose a Level 2 Apprenticeship as an alternative route.
- Level 2 City&Guilds Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Level 2 City&Guilds Diploma in Professional Food and Beverage
Duration: One year
A selection of unit titles is shown below:
- Relevant Health & Safety
- Prepare and Cook Meat
- Menu Knowledge and Design
- Catering Operations, Costs and Menu Planning
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, observed practical assessments and short-answer testing, which is all based on realistic workplace situations. All units are graded and an overall grade will be awarded. All full-time students will be required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
Applicants without suitable practical experience will normally be advised to commence study at Level 1
- Four GCSEs at grade D (grade 3) or above (to include maths and English) or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 1 Qualification
- Successful interview, initial assessment in literacy and numeracy and attendance at taster day
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes shown are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- Hospitality & Catering - Professional Cookery - Level 3
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Professional Cookery
Employment options may include:
- Food and Beverage Personnel
- Chef and Cooks
- Event Catering
You may also like...
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over: Tuition Fee £995
Additional Course Costs: £225
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own equipment costing approximately £315
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
We also offer Level 2 apprenticeships as an alternative to full-time study:
- Level 2 Production Chef Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 3 Senior Production Chef Apprenticeship Standard
- Level 2 Hospitality Team Member Apprenticeship Standard
As an employed apprentice you will gain practical skills along with knowledge and understanding relevant to your chosen course, which will include:
- Food Safety & Hygiene
- Principles of Basic Food Preparation & Cooking
- Customer Service
- The Working Environment
- Food Costing
- Food & Beverage Service
- Reception Operations
- Effective Communication
Duration and Attendance
As an apprentice, you will spend most of your time in the workplace. You may be required to attend college one day per week depending on your chosen course. You will be expected to attend functional skills classes unless you already have prior achievement. Duration will be 12−18 months.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986