Music Technology - Level 3
Equivalent to three A Levels, this course will give you the skills you need for a career in contemporary studio production and professional live audio engineering.
Exploring both the practical and theoretical aspects of sound production, you will be utilising professional hardware and software including our SSL (Solid State Logic) Duality mixing desk (the only one of its kind in a UK further education college), Apple Macs with DAW software, including Pro Tools and Logic, and industry-standard recording studios, both analogue and digital. These resources prepare you for the level of professional equipment and standards you will encounter in the industry. You will take an in-depth look at audio requirements and take part in a wide variety of field trips to industry-related areas. This course is ideal for both school leavers and mature students who are interested in live audio engineering and studio production (including computer music production), and who would like to prepare for a higher education qualification in this exciting field. Your tutors are fully active in the music industry, ensuring you encounter the very latest practices.
Qualification: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music Technology
Duration: Two years
Topics you will cover include:
- Live Sound
- Studio Recording Techniques
- Music and Sound for Media
- Music Technology Project
- Music Technology in Context
- DAW Production
- Music Technology
- Enterprise Opportunities
- Creative Synthesis and Sampling
- Composing Music
- Remixing and Reworking
- Music Technology in Performance
- Mixing and Mastering Techniques
- Studio Design and Acoustics
- Commercial Music Production
- Working and Developing as a Production Team
Assessment is continuous and industry related, with assignments, tests, projects and practical work. All full-time students are required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- Five GCSE passes at grade 4 or above, including maths and English or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 2 Qualification, such as the BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate / Diploma in Music (minimum Merit grade)
- Successful interview, initial assessment and a good school reference
- You will need to demonstrate an enthusiasm for this subject area
Progression routes shown are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria.
Study options may include:
- HNC in Music Production
- Progression to Higher Education vocational courses
Employment options may include:
- Live Sound Technician
- Music Production Technician
- Broadcast Technician
- Record Company Employee (business and administration)
You may also like...
Students aged 16 to 18: There are no tuition or examination fees.
Students aged 19 to 23: Who are studying for their first full Level 3 qualification will be not be charged any tuition fees, but will be charged the materials fee only.
Students aged 19 to 23: Who already hold a full Level 3 qualification and all students who are 24 or over will be liable for the full cost of the course, based on the current student loan applicable for the qualification. Please contact our Finance department to be advised of the fee / loan due.
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
Additional Course Costs: £165
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own personal equipment such as stationary and data storage devices.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986