Do you need to retake your English or maths GCSE to obtain a higher grade as well as improving your English or maths skills? Were you unable to complete your GCSEs due to personal circumstances? Then these courses could be for you.
GCSE English is one of the most important qualifications a student can gain. The course will require you to write in increasingly different ways for a wide variety of people and purposes.
This qualification aims to enable students to:
- read a wide range of texts fluently and with good understanding
- read critically and use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing
- write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately
- use grammar correctly, punctuate and spell accurately
- acquire and apply a wide vocabulary alongside knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology, and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
This course is aimed at those who currently hold a D grade (grade 3) in the subject and wish to improve. For mature students some previous knowledge in the subject is desirable, plus proof of success in at least one GCSE.
Initial interviews will be held prior to enrolment on the course. Pre-course assessment tests should show strong level 1 aptitude at least.
Two written papers at the end of the course
- Paper 1 - Fiction and Imaginative Writing
- Paper 2 - Non-Fiction and Transactional Writing
- Spoken Language - listen to and understand spoken language, and use spoken Standard English effectively. Spoken language will be reported as a separate grade
Further Education in A levels at Ludlow Campus or Sixth Form College for 16-19 year olds or if 19+, by correspondence or out of county, employment or Degrees at Higher Education levels.
Daytime: Monday or Friday (2 hours)
Evening: Tuesday or Wednesday (2 hours)
Start Date: September
Duration: September - June
Please Note: Costs shown are for materials fees only. Tuition Fees may apply for those already holding a GCSE grade C (grade 4) or above in the subject. Please call 0800 032 1986 for the latest details.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986
We also deliver provision on behalf of Herefordshire Council