Teaching Learners with Specific Learning Difficulties Level 5 Diploma
Herefordshire & Ludlow College accredited by British Dyslexia Association (Subject to Accreditation).
Duration: One year
Location: HLC Hereford Campus
Application: HLC application form
The Level 5 Diploma in Teaching Learners with Dyslexia/Specific Learning Difficulties has been developed to recognise students’ skills, knowledge and understanding of the special educational needs sector and their ability to deliver effective teaching sessions to students with dyslexia/ specific learning difficulties affecting literacy and numeracy.
The qualification would be appropriate for teachers and other professionals working within one phase of educational provision – primary, secondary or adult (post 16), who work with learners experiencing significant difficulties with the acquisition and development of literacy and numeracy skills.
This course aims to develop students:
- Understanding of dyslexia/specific learning difficulties affecting learning and cognition.
- Understanding of the context of learning and of the national and regional policies which affect SEN policies and provision within their own workplace.
- Abilities to identify the needs of learners with dyslexia/specific learning difficulties, using observation and evidence-based assessment.
- Abilities to plan, deliver, review and evaluate effective teaching programmes for students with specific learning difficulties, both in individual and small group settings.
- Ability to work with others in supporting learners with specific learning difficulties.
Assessment is through the production of a professional portfolio and includes observations/case studies.
The qualification is designed primarily for qualified and practising teachers and other professionals who hold recognised professional qualifications. Students should possess an appropriate level of learning support experience and should have unrestricted access to appropriate teaching and assessment practice. It is anticipated that students will have a high level of skill and be working at or above the equivalent of level 3 in the following areas: literacy, numeracy and ICT.
£1,230.00. All fees are subject to change; please check with the relevant provider.
A Disclosure and Barring Service check is required for this course. A DBS will cost £44 plus a yearly update service of £13 per year.
Call: 0800 032 1986