Advanced Apprenticeship in Farriery
This course is one of only three available in the UK and is recognised and accredited by The Farriers Registration Council and The Worshipful Company of Farriers. The course is designed for the farriery apprentice to learn the theoretical aspects of farriery and practice building their practical skills which they will learn in the workplace.
The course will allow the apprentice farrier to gain the Level 3 Work-based Diploma in Farriery and then progress to take the Diploma of The Worshipful Company of Farriers examination.
Farriery apprenticeship placements are both limited and are in high demand nationally so ensuring that you have all of the entry requirements is vital.
The course operates as an Advanced Apprenticeship where you will work for an Approved Training Farrier (ATF) and attend college on a block release scheme where your assessments and theory teaching take place and your progression will be monitored. Once you have successfully completed the Level 3 Work-based Diploma in Farriery you will be eligible to progress to the Worshipful Company of Farriers Diploma examination.
If you wish to apply for an Advanced Apprenticeship in Farriery you are advised to familiarise yourself with the information on the entry requirements and steps you need to take. You can do this by contacting our Admission Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0800 032 1986 who will be happy to help and advise you.
Level 3 Work-based Diploma in Farriery
Diploma of the Worshipful Company of Farriers (Dip WCF)
4 Years 2 months
The initial 2 months is a probationary period which you must complete with your ATF prior to your initial block at college. The farriery apprenticeship is a block release program at College. You will come in twice a year for between two and four weeks per block. The remaining time will be spent working with your ATF.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below:
- Monitor and maintain health and safety in farriery
- Prepare, light and maintain the forge fire
- Produce horseshoe making tools by hand
- Handle and control equines to provide foot care
- Assess the overall condition and foot care requirements of the equine
- Determine the foot care plan for the equine
- Remove horseshoes and assess wear
- Trim and dress hooves
- Make horseshoes
- Fit horseshoes
- Attach horseshoes and finish the shoeing process
- Prepare and check manual metal arc welding equipment for farriery use
- Fabricate horseshoes and tools for farriery use
Please be aware that we cannot accept adult numeracy or adult literacy level 2 as an equivalent to the GCSE English and maths or functional skills level 2 Literacy & Numeracy which are a mandatory entry requirement. Certain Welsh, Scottish, Irish equivalencies are now accepted. Please contact us to query any qualifications.
You will be required to provide evidence of all your qualifications. Any Statements from a School must be signed, dated and stamped by the School to verify the results before we can accept them.
The entry requirements to the apprenticeship are:
- 5 GCSE passes at grade 4 or above (grade A-C), which must include English language, mathematics and science
- A relevant Level 2 Diploma at Merit or Distinction level (for example Farriery Access, Blacksmithing and Metalwork, or Equine studies) and Level 2 functional skills in English and maths
In addition you will also need:
- The NPTC Level 2 Certificate in Forgework
- A proposal letter with confirmation of employment from an Approved Training Farrier (ATF)
- A successful interview which will include an assessment of practical aptitude
Once you have successfully completed and qualified as a farrier a range of further training and development opportunities are available within the industry i.e. ATF, AWCF, College Tutor, FWCF. For more information on progression paths within this industry please look at the Worshipful Company of Farriers website: http://www.wcf.org.uk
Please contact us for accurate costs, email@example.com
Telephone: 0800 032 1986