Retail Manager Apprenticeship
Retail managers are responsible for delivering sales targets and a positive experience to customers that will encourage repeat custom and loyalty to the brand / business. It is a diverse role that includes leading and developing a team to achieve business objectives and work with a wide range of people, requiring excellent communication skills. Maximising income and minimising wastage are essential to the job and therefore individuals must develop a sound understanding of business and people management principles to support the achievement of the vision and objectives of the business. Retail managers champion the way for personal development, training and continuous improvement, encouraging their team to develop their own skills and abilities to enhance business performance and productivity.
Employers will set their own entry requirements, but it is expected that the individual would have worked within a supervisory role to start on this apprenticeship standard.
Apprentices must meet all core requirements of the standards, examples of which are shown below. The full standards can be downloaded from the government's website at:-
- Brand Reputation - Understand the importance of upholding brand reputation, how brand reputation can become compromised and the impact on the business, and how threats can be managed. Identify the impact of social media on the industry and how it is used in own organisation
- Stock - Understand how to manage an effective stock control system; recognise the financial implications to the business and own responsibility to manage stock to meet sales targets, marketing activities and business objectives
- Technology - Understand the technology requirements of the business and how to manage them to achieve effective and efficient retail operations and service; identify commonly used and emerging technology in the retail industry and identify its current and potential impact on the business
- Legal & Governance - Understand environmental, legislative, corporate, data protection and social responsibilities relating to retail businesses
- Brand Reputation - Ensure the team carry out activities in line with business and brand values that actively market the business, support competitiveness and help meet business objectives. Identify possible risks to brand reputation and take action to prevent or minimise their impact
- Stock - Monitor the stock management system to minimise the cost of damage to stock and the loss of stock to the business. Ensure audit compliance and react quickly to results to maintain business standards and stock requirements
- Technology - Ensure technology is sourced, located, available, maintained and secured in line with business needs; oversee the use of technology in line with business policy, identify and make recommendations for improvement
- Legal & Governance - Manage and continuously review adherence to legislation and regulations / policies for due diligence; handle audits and regulatory authorities such as the Environmental Health Officer appropriately
- Brand Reputation - Champion the brand and work closely with team and management to ensure brand reputation is upheld at all times
- Stock - Take ownership of stock management systems to meet current and projected business needs
- Technology - Drive efficiency in the implementation and use of new opportunities in technology for retail that will provide benefits to the business
- Legal & Governance - Be accountable, advocate and adhere to the importance of working legally in the best interests of all people
Downloads (full details from government website)
Entry Requirements: Employers will set their own entry requirements, but it is expected that the individual would have worked within a supervisory role to start on this apprenticeship standard.
Duration: Based on the entry requirements the minimum duration for this qualification is 12, but will typically be 18, months to complete.
Progression: Progression from this apprenticeship would be into a retail store manager, senior retail manager, or area manager position.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986