Retail Team Leader Apprenticeship
Retail team leaders are a critical support to managers, delivering exceptional customer service and a positive experience to customers, and may have to deputise for managers in their absence. The role is dynamic and in one day can involve a variety of different functions. Most significantly retail team leaders guide and coordinate the work of the team to complete tasks, identify and explore opportunities that drive sales, ensuring team members maintain business standards in relation to merchandising, service and promotional activities, in line with procedures. Retail team leaders gain the most of their team on a day to day basis, ensuring they are fully trained and work effectively and to the best of their ability.
Employers will set their own entry requirements, but it is expected that the individual would have worked with an operational role within the industry to start on this apprenticeship standard.
Apprentices will have to meet all of the core requirements of the standards, examples of which are shown below. The full standards can be downloaded from the government's website at:-
- Customer - Understand the customer profile of the business, their purchasing habits across a retail calendar year and how to meet and exceed their needs. Know the best ways to drive the team to increase sales, secure customer loyalty and attain business targets.
- Business - Understand the purpose of the business including its vision, objectives and brand / business standards, how they compare to its competitors and how own role, and the team, help to achieve them.
- Sales & Promotion - Understand the factors which can determine and affect sales and promotions throughout the retail year and how to coordinate and implement them to support business objectives.
- Legal & Governance - Understand the importance of business compliance to legal requirements and supporting the team to operate in line with business policy and procedures.
- Customer - Monitor customers’ enquiries and service requirements; coach and support team members to use appropriate methods e.g. face to face or remote such as on-line facilities, to deliver consistent and exceptional service that provides customers with a positive experience.
- Business - Work with the team to maintain brand / business standards at all times and identify and address any potential risks according to business procedures.
- Sales & Promotion - Communicate sales targets to the team and support them, recognising and acting on opportunities to maximise revenue, for example through link selling and drawing customers’ attention to promotional offers.
- Legal & Governance - Ensure self and team always comply with legal requirements, respond quickly to identified risks and ensure they are dealt with in line with business procedures and reported to the appropriate member(s) of the management team.
- Customer - Act as a role model to champion excellent customer service by always looking to improve customers’ experience through a welcoming and professional approach which builds strong customer relationships.
- Business - Demonstrate personal responsibility for meeting the objectives of the team and the business.
- Sales & Promotion - Proactive in looking for cost effective sales opportunities and ways to enhance revenue .
- Legal & Governance - Be responsible, advocate and adhere to the importance of working legally in the best interests of all people.
Downloads (full details from government website)
Entry Requirements: Employers will set their own entry requirements, but it is expected that the individual would have worked with an operational role within the industry to start on this apprenticeship standard.
Duration: Based on the entry requirements the minimum duration for this qualification is of 12 months.
Progression: Progression from this apprenticeship could be into a junior retail management position.
Contact: 0800 032 1986