The main purpose of a retailer is to assist customers when they purchase products and services, which requires a good understanding of the stock being sold, the variety of ways customers can shop and the ability to process payments, for example, using a till. Retailers must be passionate about delivering a quality service that always aims to exceed customers’ expectations. Therefore, retailers enjoy direct contact with a wide range of people and are motivated by completing a sale and knowing a customer is happy with their purchase. They can work in a variety of shops and other retail establishments: small boutiques, large high street chains, supermarkets and well-known department stores are just some examples. More specialist retailers include funeral services, garden centres, delicatessens and people who work in remote environments for example in telephone, on-line and mail order retail. Regardless of the type of products and services being sold, a wide representation of employers from across the retail industry have defined this standard and agreed that the knowledge, skills and behaviours that apprentices must have to do their job are the same.
Apprentices must meet all of the core requirements of the standards, examples of which are shown below. The full standards can be downloaded from the government's website at:-
- Customer - Know the customer profile of the business, appropriate methods for communicating with customers e.g. face to face and remotely, what customers’ purchasing habits are, how to support and increase sales, encourage customer loyalty and achieve repeat business.
- Business - Know the vision, objectives and brand standards of the business and how to contribute towards their success.
- Product & Service - Know information on the brands, products and services as required by the business (for example in large retailers a general knowledge of a range of products and services may be needed, but in specialist outlets a detailed knowledge on the technical specification of a product and the aftercare service may be necessary).
- Technical - Know how to operate technology such as customer payments and understand how changing technology, for example social media, digital and multichannel tools, support the sale of products and facilitates an effective and efficient service to customers.
- Legal & Governance - Recognise and understand legislative responsibilities relating to the business and the products and/or services being sold (for example the importance of food safety for food retailers), the importance of protecting peoples’ health, safety and security, and the consequences of not following legal guidelines.
- Customer - Positively interact with customers, using business relevant methods for example face to face or on-line, to support and increase sales by providing useful information and service.
- Business - Establish a good rapport with customers, serve them in line with brand standards and promote the values of the business in all work activities.
- Product & Service - Help match products and services to customers’ needs and increase the amount they spend for example through the sale of associated products and services.
- Technical - Use technology appropriately and efficiently in line with company policy, to support sales and service ensuring that maintenance issues are dealt with promptly.
- Legal & Governance - Comply with legal requirements to minimise risk and inspire customer confidence; minimising disruption to the business and maintaining the safety and security of people at all times.
- Customer - Adopt an approachable and friendly manner, interacting with customers in line with the style of the business, showing a genuine interest in meeting their needs and actively seeking feedback to improve own quality of service provision.
- Business - Demonstrate personal drive and a positive regard for the reputation and aim of the business.
- Product & Service - Confidently demonstrate a belief in the products and services the business offers .
- Technical - Embrace the use of technology, use it responsibly and take an interest in new developments, for example in social media, that could support the business.
- Legal & Governance - Work with integrity in an honest and trustworthy manner putting personal safety and that of others first.
Downloads (full details from government website)
Duration: Based on the entry requirements the minimum duration for this qualification is 12 months.
Progression: This apprenticeship provides an ideal stepping stone into specialist, team leading, supervisory or first line management roles within retail and higher level training and apprenticeships.
Contact: 0800 032 1986