Foundation Studies: Health, Social Care & Childcare - Level 1
An introductory course in knowledge and skills for the care sector aimed at school leavers, with the aim of progressing to further study.
Are you an energetic and caring person who is committed to working in the health and social care sector with the elderly, more vulnerable or with children? If so, this one-year course is designed to build upon your interests, enabling you to progress in your chosen specialism.
You will use your good sense of humour and willing attitude to work with others in a wide variety of situations. A supportive and friendly atmosphere is encouraged within the classroom at all times and your tutors can offer you a wealth of industry experience to bring the curriculum to life.
There are also opportunities to be involved in a wider range of activities, such as a variety of trips and visits, fundraising activities and opportunities to socialise and take part in games and sports. You will be coached in developing your job seeking and interview skills, as well as the process of looking and applying for a job in the childcare or social care sectors. You will also study English and maths, which are essential for future job roles. The delivery of the course involves giving each student a behaviour and performance grade for each lesson. This contributes to an overall record of achievement and supports progression to further
education or work.
City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Introduction to Health, Social Care & Childcare
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Effective Communication
- Equality & Inclusion
- Health & Safety
- Planning Activities for Children
- Personal & Social Development
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work. All full-time students are required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- No formal entry qualifications are required
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following satisfactory references and a clear DBS check
- You will need to demonstrate an enthusiasm for this subject area
There are various opportunities for further study or employment upon successful completion of your course.
What can I study next?
Study options may include:
Foundation Studies in other subjects:
- Foundation Studies: Construction & Building Services - Level 1
- Foundation Studies: Computing & IT - Level 1
- Foundation Studies: Employability Skills - Level 1 & Level 2
What jobs can I do?
Employment options may include:
- Working within a care home or nursery
- Access to health & social care and childcare apprenticeships
You may also like...
Foundation Studies in another subject area:
- Health, Social Care & Childcare - Level 1
- Construction & Building Services - Level 1
- Employability Skills - Level 1 & Level 2
- Hospitality & Catering - Entry Level 3 / Level 1
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over (at the start of the course): Tuition Fee £995 | Registration/Exam Fee £150
Additional Course Cost: £105
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own personal equipment such as personal protective clothing, stationary and data storage devices.
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986