Hospitality & Professional Cookery (Introduction) - Level 1
This course takes you through your first steps in front of house service and the essential basics of professional cookery skills.
This course provides you with an introductory pathway which can take you through to advanced level study and on to fulfil your ambitions in either specialism: front of house or in the kitchen. It is also a great route to an apprenticeship. The qualifications cover all aspects of food and beverage service, practical kitchen skills and theory sessions.
During the course, you will learn to work as part of a team adhering to current health and safety legislation. You will take part in industry work experience as well as learning and working in the College’s excellent industry-standard kitchens and restaurant. There is the opportunity to take part in annual events and competitions, gaining valuable experience of large-scale event catering.
- Level 1 City & Guilds Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery
- Level 1 City & Guilds Certificate in Professional Food & Beverage
Duration: One year
A selection of unit titles is shown below:
- Introduction to the Catering & Hospitality Industry
- Introduction to Personal Workplace Skills
- Prepare and Cook a Variety of Food
- Food Safety in Catering
You will be assessed by practical skill tests on a continuous basis. You will also be required to produce a portfolio of evidence to be certified by your assessors. Theoretical aspects of the programme will mainly be assessed through assignments and internal and external test papers. All full-time students are required to study maths and English at the appropriate level.
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies, please refer to the Study Programmes page of this website.
- GCSEs at grade 2 (grade E) or above in English and maths
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview and attendance at a taster day
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Progression routes are dependent on successful completion of qualifications and meeting entry criteria
Study options may include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Hospitality & Catering
- Level 2 Production Chef - Apprenticeship standard
Employment options may include:
- Food & Beverage Personnel
- Chef & Cooks
- Event Catering
You may also like...
Aged 16 - 18 years: There are no tuition or exam fees
Aged 19 years or over: Tuition Fee £995
Additional Course Costs: £220
Personal Equipment: You may also be expected to buy your own equipment costing approximately £315
Please Note: Costs are subject to change, please call Enquiries on 0800 032 1986 to check.
Telephone: 0800 032 1986