Foundation Degree in Sport and Community
University of Worcester and Herefordshire & Ludlow College.
Level: 4 & 5
Duration: Two years
Location: HLC Hereford Campus, University of Worcester and various outdoor venues
Application: UCAS course code C6L5
This exciting course provides a broadly based vocational foundation degree in sport, set in the community context, making it distinctive from similar courses. It is ideal for students wishing to pursue careers in the diverse sport related sector. It aims to develop the underpinning knowledge, skills and understanding through the opportunity to engage in a number of work-based learning modules. The course covers a range of fundamental sport disciplines from basic sport and exercise science to socio-cultural issues, sport development, management and coaching reflecting the innovative and contemporary sport industry, from both regional to global perspectives. The partnership between HLC and the University of Worcester offers a unique opportunity to study on both campuses with progression to a Level 6 BA (Hons) Sport Development and Coaching for students wishing to pursue a further academic qualification.
- Socio Cultural Studies in Sport and Physical Activity
- Fundamentals of Sport and Exercise Science
- Principles of Sport Pedagogy (Coaching and Teaching)
- Work-Based learning Preparing for the Sports Industry; Developing Intra-Personal & Practice Based Skills
- Physical Activity and Health
- Sport in the Community
- Disability Sport
- Training Principles for Sports Coaching
- Sports Development in Practice
- Investigative and Research Skills in Sport
- Work-Based Learning- Diversity, Inclusion & Interpersonal skills
- Sport Leadership and Management
- Sociological Perspectives in Sport and Exercise
- Applied Research Skills
The foundation degree is a vocational course and assessment methods will reflect this. A variety of different approaches are used to assess learning including;
- Individual and group presentations
- Practical coaching and critical reflections on practice
- Case Studies
- Reflective work placement journal
- Essays and reports
- Investigative research
72 UCAS tariff points and GCSE Maths and English Language at Grade 4 (C) or above.
Access to HE diploma welcome.
A full Disclosure & Barring Service check is required for some modules.
On successful completion of the programme, there are opportunities to progress onto a BA (Hons) Sport Development and Coaching degree programme at the University of Worcester or seek employment within the sport industry.
£9,250 per year; University of Worcester fees policy applies. All fees are subject to change; please check with the relevant provider.
Every course has day-to-day costs for basic books, stationery, printing and photocopying. The amounts vary between courses.
There will be the opportunity to go on a variety of trips, these are optional and you will be expected to meet any costs.
DBS check £44 (Update service £13 per year).
Call: 0800 032 1986