Free Motion Embroidery Memory Piece
Level: Some experience required
Tutor: Rachel Wyatt-Cox
Course Dates: 31st January to 14th March 2023 (no class on 21st February)
Length of course: 6 weeks
Study mode: Tuesday evenings, 6:45 to 8:45pm
Venue: Herefordshire & Ludlow College, Folly Lane, Hereford, HR1 1LS
Our main aim of this course is to produce a ‘memory’ art piece, using fabrics and materials that have special significance to you, with a design that you have produced.
It could be a picture of your home, made from curtains that used to hang in the window, or from a tablecloth which is no longer in use, but holds memories. It could be a fabric interpretation of your favourite view, made with your old clothes. The possibilities are endless!
We will have 2 to 3 weeks of ‘recapping’ our free motion skills, and then we will design and produce our final artwork using appliqué and free motion techniques.
By the end of the course, you can expect to have:
- Re-capped your free motion embroidery skills
- Learned how to transfer your design to fabric
- Learned how to use different fabrics to create textures to add depth to your chosen design
- Created a memory piece artwork which will be totally personal to you.
What you will need to bring:
- Scissors and threads in a variety of colours including black, which is essential. A materials list will be sent to you with more detail. Sewing machines will be supplied by the college.
About the tutor:
“I am a textile artist specialising in using recycled fabrics within my work. I love to create ‘memory art’ for people using special items of clothing within bespoke pictures. I have had my work exhibited in several galleries and enjoy sharing my passion for free-motion embroidery.”
Tuition fee: £60.00 (this includes a charge for additional materials of £10.00)
Additional costs: You will be asked to provide some materials and equipment at your own expense, though your project materials do not need to be new.
N.B: These costs may be subject to change
How do I apply
Please apply online at www.hlcollege.ac.uk or telephone 0800 0321986 to request an application form