CARETAKER (FULL TIME, PERMANENT)
Salary £17,356 - £18,219 (plus £1,432 call-out allowance)
The College’s Estates department is seeking to appoint an additional caretaker to join its existing team of caretakers, groundsmen and drivers. The role will be based at our Hereford Campus on Folly Lane, but the successful applicant should be willing to perform occasional duties at our Holme Lacy and Ludlow sites (a College vehicle can be used, or a mileage allowance is payable when working at other sites).
The role comprises a range of duties and responsibilities including locking/unlocking, general buildings maintenance/repairs, fire alarm/emergency lighting tests, moving equipment and furniture, and replenishing/reordering supplies across the sites. A flexible approach is required as the duties vary widely dependent upon incidents and requests during the working day. The successful applicant will be hard-working, enthusiastic, reliable and honest.
This is permanent role, full-time, 37 hours per week. The position is expected to work as part of a rota pattern covering a mixture of early and late shifts, typically these will be either 7am to 3.00pm, 11am to 7pm, or 2pm to 10pm. The position is Monday – Friday, although there may be a requirement to work weekends on some occasions.
No previous experience is necessary, but if you are knowledgeable with a high level of handy-person/DIY skills and the ability to carry out general repairs and jobs competently, we would particularly like to hear from you.
The role of Caretaker will include:
· Locking/unlocking of College buildings including the operation of security alarms, act as a joint key holder and, on occasion, to be available for emergency call-outs.
· Undertake general maintenance and repairs of the College buildings and facilities.
· Carry out weekly health and safety checks in line with established procedures and guidelines.
· Assist staff or students with Estates tasks as requested across the site.
· Ensure site cleanliness by litter picking, emptying bins, topping up soaps/sanitiser and dealing with spills etc.
· Assist the groundsman with lawn cutting or two-man jobs, e.g., hedge cutting, where necessary.
· Support the Estates Supervisor and drivers by delivering College vehicles to garages for repairs and MOTs etc.
We are looking for the following skills and experience:
· Practical skills in identifying and carrying out minor repairs.
· An understanding of basic health and safety.
· Self-motivated and organised. Able to work on own initiative or as part of a team.
· Full UK, manual driving licence (category D1 desirable).
· Good communication skills, friendly and approachable.
· Able to take pride in the appearance and condition of our College, both internally and externally, paying particular attention to the buildings and surrounding environment.
We offer a generous Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), paid holidays and the opportunity for paid overtime. Free parking is available.
The College is committed to equality of opportunity, safeguarding including the Prevent Duty and promoting the welfare of all students, and the College expects all members of staff to share this commitment. This post is subject to a DBS Disclosure.
Please contact Mitchell Gardner, Head of ICT and Estates, on 01432 365364 or email@example.com for more information if required.
Closing date: 25th July 2021